First of all, I stumbled on Google Profiles. Now while I know many say Google stores too much information on what we do already… I am not too fussed myself as the service and software outweigh any privacy concerns for me. Anyway, its basically allows peoples profiles to be displayed at the bottom of google results for peoples names. Click here for the Google Blog post about the new service.

For example, recently I had been trying to find an old work colleague, and while eventually after two years I found him on facebook, it seems that if people had profile pages, it would make finding people sometimes easier.

So I have setup my own Google Profile which can be found here, or at the bottom of any Google Search for Ross Stone now! Was nice distraction for a bit anyway while I set it up.

Converting from MyISAM to InnoDB

Also it seemed recently there was a technical bug on the website, where the log table had become corupt in the MySQL Table. Thus it was shown as “In Use” forever, and messed with logging, and also the sites sql backup procedures.

From a brief discussion on IRC with Matrix (Provider of Server Hostings, and Master of all things Interweb), we decided it must have been when servers were taken offline briefly, and that changing the SQL Engine to InnoDB would ensure the “rare” issue should not happen again as well as offer better performance.

InnoDB apparently from what I read is faster and has more features, but uses a fair amount more resources than MyISAM, the default SQL Engine for MySQL. But luckily, apparently Matrix had just upgraded the hardware in the server so enabled InnoDB!

However, as I have around 100 tables in my database, throwing the “ALTER TABLE table_name ENGINE = InnoDB;” SQL Statement into phpMyAdmin for every table is not viable as it would take ages.

The problem I had was, I could not find a means to change all tables, even after spending a long time Googl Searching for a solution. Eventually I stumbled on shell script, which I managed to adjust for my need, and pop the “innodb.sh” in the home directory, and simply run it via SSH.

The innodb.sh simply contained the following for anyone looking to do similar themselves:

DBNAME=”Database Name”
DBUSER=”Database Username”
DBPWD=”Database Password”
for t in $(mysql -u$DBUSER -p$DBPWD –batch –column-names=false -e “show tables” $DBNAME);
do
echo “Converting table $t”
mysql -u$DBUSER -p$DBPWD -e “alter table $t type=InnoDB” $DBNAME;
done

New Internet Explorer Notices

Finally, a few websites I manage do not display correctly in Internet Explorer, and I was getting frustrated with having to make it look fine in Internet Explorer when pretty much every other browser manages it fine.

So I have just made a notice appear at the bottom of every page for Internet Explorer users, advising the site does not work correctly for them, and that they should change browsers. With a link to a security guide as well for good measure.