Map of free parking in Bath (Discontinued)

/, Blog, Technical, Travel/Map of free parking in Bath (Discontinued)

Map of free parking in Bath (Discontinued)

As the high ups in our council have decided that Victoria Park should become pay and display from possibly mid 2013 onwards, I found that as I don’t drive and live in the Central Zone I am not eligible for visitor parking permit so friends and family now have no where to park (cheaply) when they want to visit me.

To find a solution to this I have consolidated all of the Bath Parking Zone information from that B&NES website and entered it onto a single Google Map so I can more easily identify the closest free street parking.

EDIT: 19/08/2016 – Links to map removed as its no longer up to date and some people were getting fined as relying on the map and not reading local signage. Sorry, I don’t live in Bath any more so can not maintain this.
EDIT: 20/07/2016 – It has been reported that some markers are no longer free. Please double check parking restrictions in person before parking. I no longer live in Bath so am unable to verify them anymore and the council have changed some since this was published.
EDIT: 12/09/2015 – Updated colour of markers to be more clear.

Key:
Green Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
Yellow Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
Red Markers: 1-2 Hour Limit Free Parking

parking

I have not verified on foot this map yet and the councils parking changes effect various areas so it might be in need of a few corrections. Data is taken from the B&NES website here, with each zone map on the left side bar. However the maps appear visually old so I am not confident its up to date. It also skips Zone 13. I don’t know if Zone 13 exists or not.

Corrections: If anyone sees an error on the map, let me know in the comments below and I can update it.

Link to Google Map: Link removed as map no longer up to date.

I did wonder if it was wise to publish this information because with all the people who used to park in Victoria Park being displaced, some will use free street parking further out which is both unfair and will annoy local residents in those streets. In those cases, fault lies with the council for not providing suitable and affordable alternatives.

The stupid situation is that while I can get a resident parking permit and park my car (if I had one) in the centre every day, I am not allowed to pass on that right and instead get visitor parking permit where a car would only be parked in the centre a few times a year.

Its also unfair that if I lived a mere 100 metres up the road, I would be in Zone 7 and thus be allowed to get a visitor permit. I am on the edge of Central Zone, which is frustrating.

I called the councils parking department to find a solution:

• They suggested the Park and Ride, but with family and friends visiting for a few days and often leaving in the late evening. Its not viable as the Park and Ride is not 24 hour and Bath does not have 24 hour bus services.
  • They suggested Charlotte Street Car Park. But at £8.50 for 11 hours, that would become very expensive if someone wanted to visit for a weekend.
  • I asked if I could get a visitor parking permit for zones outside of Central Zone. I live in Brunswick Place so am at the northern edge of the Central Zone, so a Zone 7 visitor permit would be fine, but they don’t allow for such.
  • I asked if I could give my residents permit to friends or family and just change the registration number online as needed. They said that would work, but I probably should not do it as I am meant to be the owner.
  • I asked if I could get a visitor parking permit that would work for B&NES car parks such as Charlotte Street car park, but they don’t support such. (This is a shame as I think for Central Zone residents it would be a good idea.)
  • I asked if they had a list of free alternative car parks near where I live or any other recommendations and they said they could not help any further.

So the only other option I had was to collate all of the zones and work out where the closest free street parking was. No doubt others will do similar. In those cases, hopefully my map proves useful.

Unsure yet, but the north side of Victoria Park on Weston Road may still be free to use after the change. It would most likely be full more often though as its already often full during the day.

By |2017-01-06T16:01:04+00:00April 10th, 2013|Categories: Bath, Blog, Technical, Travel|Tags: , , , |30 Comments

About the Author:

Ross Stone is an experienced and passionate IT Professional with exceptional knowledge of various technologies including Active Directory, Application Virtualization, System Centre Configuration Manager, Citrix XenApp and VMware vSphere.

30 Comments

1. Christopher Askew 17/04/2013 at 15:46

Thanks very much for this Ross, extremely useful!

As a frequent users of Victoria Park myself and recommended to friends and family visiting it will be frustrating to see it change to pay and display.

2. Anne Ominous 17/04/2013 at 16:46

Really useful…thank you so much :)

3. Richard Speigal 18/04/2013 at 08:34

Great work, Ross! Open data in action – hope it raises eyebrows with the powers that be.

4. Jo Archer 18/04/2013 at 18:21

Fab! I’ve got another one for you – there’s a stretch for about four cars at the corner of Ferry lane and South Parade Gdns (?) behind the cricket pitch, that I use first thing in the morning to go swimming at the Sports Centre on North Parade. Strictly only two hours.

5. Jo Archer 18/04/2013 at 18:24

In fact, there are lots of spaces on Sydney Road but presumably the council have their eye on those, too!

6. Ross Stone 18/04/2013 at 19:34

Thanks Jo, I have added time limited free parking as Yellow and Green Markers. I have added a key in the description that says what colour markers are for what lengths of stay.

Blue Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
    Red Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Green Markers: 2 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Yellow Markers: 1 Hour Limit Free Parking

Could not read the rules on the signs on street view for Sydney Road. Suspect it might be 4 Hours, but will walk over there some time and update the map with exact details later. Left it Yellow for now in case its 1 Hour as better to assume the most restrictive terms, but will update later when I know for sure.

EDIT: 12/09/2015 – More appropriate colour markers added, so below is correct.

Green Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
    Yellow Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Red Markers: 1-2 Hour Limit Free Parking

7. Pearly 19/04/2013 at 10:55

Hi!

Great work, and really good that this major problem is being given the advertisement it needs.
    Im from York, and I thought York parking charges were bad until I came to Bath!!
    As an outsider who’s looking to move to Bath permanently, I can’t see how Bath residents can afford to utilise the city centre shops regularly with parking charges as astronomical as they are. It’s completely unacceptable and will clearly affect city centre business if people are not happy to pay the high cost of parking. They’ll easily take their money elsewhere.

Sort it out Bath.

8. Janet 19/04/2013 at 17:47

Sydney Road – the two lower sections are free with 2 hour limit, the top spaces are 4 hours.
    (but for how long?)

I live outside Bath, usually park outside and walk, but not nice in dark evenings or bad weather.

9. Ali 22/04/2013 at 09:04

This has well and truly put a spanner in the works for me and my colleagues!
    We are those ever so annoying commuters who park in Victoria park. My nearest park and ride is at Odd down which drops off at the bottom of town (Handy when you work right at the top!) Running a car and paying for P&R isn’t going to be easy for many of us! And it’s not use if we work a late either!
    Look’s like I might be getting a motor bike!

10. Ross Stone 22/04/2013 at 13:05

Map updated with the Sydney Road information. I have also tweaked a few things as per suggestions from emails.

11. Clare 20/06/2013 at 16:07

Hi Ross

I’m sure this is really handy for people wishing to avoid paying for parking in Bath and I do completely understand that, however, have you considered the implications for the residents?

We watch commuters pour in to our streets every morning when we are taking the kids to school. By the time we’ve done a bit of food shopping after the school run, it is impossible to park back in our own streets, leaving us no option but to park streets away. Then we have to struggle home with shopping and babies and if we don’t use the car again that day, the following morning have to walk streets away to do it all again!

Please use the Park and Rides provided, please, please, please!!

12. Chi Am 25/08/2013 at 00:35

Greetings Ross,
    I live in the Central Zone and due to necessity my Household need the usage of two vehicles (I would save a substantial sum annually with just one car) but the Council only allow one permit per family within this Zone. Prior to finding your website, I had searched the outskirts for parking spaces and found many trade vans occupying the exact locations from your site’s info.

I will not praise you for doing same fine work in your attempt to help others because I sincerely believe this site have detrimental effects to the people who are really in need to park their vehicles. The updated information also alerts those lazy Council parasites where they will need to apply more restrictions in the near future.

So your effort gives people false impressions as it is creating less parking availability to the people in dire need. It makes one wonder why a person who does not own a vehicle would attempt to deter others from motoring.

Regards.

13. Nick Brenton 25/06/2014 at 21:45

This is absolutely brilliant. I am a property photographer in Bath for a leading Bath Estate Agents and I snap around 3 properties a day i struggle to park all the time but I am starting to learn the free parking zones. If im not mistaken there is a;

A 2 hour zone on Camden Road just before the rank of shops.

A 2 hour zone on Horseshoe Walk just east from the canal near Pulteney Road.

A 2 hour zone on Pulteney Road before the Train Bridge opposite the pub.

A 2 hour zone on Widcombe Hill next to the bus stop.

Hope this helps?

14. Ross Stone 13/08/2014 at 07:41

Thanks Nick. I have updated the map with those four spots.

15. Martyn 08/09/2014 at 15:23

this is what i would do…… and its right under your nose
    You said…..
    “■I asked if I could give my residents permit to friends or family and just change the registration number online as needed. They said that would work, but I probably should not do it as I am meant to be the owner.”
    If you like me change cars like the weathr or rent cars from time to time then you would be changing the reg number regularly. There is nothing wrong with this idea, so get yourself a permit and adjust it as friends visit. Its your right to have a permit with or without a car. Work out who visits you the most and register it with their cars reg, as others visit change it . No-one in the council will be checking this and if they did the majority of the time no car would be present to check on. Many people do this already dont think you will be the first.

16. Jake McCormick 14/09/2014 at 20:33

Is there a key to help me understand the couloir codes on the map?

17. Ross Stone 14/09/2014 at 20:36

Jake, when you open the map, there should be a sidebar that lists each colour zone and every pin and what it is. Zone’s are just different colours to show them clearly. Pins tend to be as follows.

Blue Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
    Red Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Green Markers: 2 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Yellow Markers: 1 Hour Limit Free Parking

EDIT: 12/09/2015 – Markers updated to be better colour coded. Below is now correct.

Green Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
    Yellow Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Red Markers: 1-2 Hour Limit Free Parking

18. Paull Clark 20/08/2015 at 11:50

Hi Ross

What a fantastic page … so useful. Thanks for all the effort you have gone to to compile it.

It’s only a minor suggestion but I wonder if you were to colour code the pins so that red was most restrictive and green the least restrictive it might fit in with people’s general interpretation of colours? … like red/amber/green on traffic lights, etc.

I went to Uni in Bath in the dark ages when parking was almost unrestricted and it is such a shock to return for a visit and see how difficult it has become. Residents in the central area without their own parking facilities must find it really awkward.

As I say, it’s a great site … thank you.

Paul

19. Chris 12/09/2015 at 08:57

Great map, but the left hand side Zone Key lists ‘Zone 3’ twice! The first of these should be ‘Zone 2’.

20. Ross Stone 12/09/2015 at 09:16

Chris,

I have corrected Zone 3 being displayed twice, by changing one to Zone 2. Thanks for spotting the typo.

Paul,

Good idea. Will update the markers as follows…

Green Markers: No Restriction Free Parking
    Yellow Markers: 4 Hour Limit Free Parking
    Red Markers: 1-2 Hour Limit Free Parking

Thanks Both.
    Ross

21. Steve Nortney 21/09/2015 at 17:01

Ross – you are a Star, what a kind act on the spirit of open data, thank you. We have just retired (other end of age spectrum to you) and are selling and moving to rent in Bath for a few years. I am really puzzled about how to deal with visitors and family if we rent in the central area.
    This is a lifeline, thank you, although I’m still aghast at how a local authority can be so hostile to its own voters and council tax payers!

22. Stephen 22/09/2015 at 21:48

The link to the B&NES website no longer works, do you have an alternative link?

23. ScoobieDoo 13/11/2015 at 12:03

Thanks for this. Just bought a flat in Bath as a 2nd home and despite paying full council tax (fine by me by the way, services have to be provided don’t they?) it would appear that I may be denied a parking permit. There is nothing whatsoever about 2nd homes on the council website and I fell into a trap by being honest and saying it’s a 2nd home.
    So – note to 2nd houseowners – it doesn’t pay to be honest! Just say it’s your only & permanent residence and you’ll get a permit.
    It looks like I might be playing car parking chess around town and this map therefore will be enormously helpful – although I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

24. Ross Stone 13/11/2015 at 12:37

Stephen, I have fixed the B&NES link. It appears they now offer there own map of parking zones, although it lacks free parking spots.

25. adam 05/05/2016 at 12:40

Hi Ross, do you think this map is still fairly up to date? regards, Adam

26. Ross Stone 05/05/2016 at 12:42

Hi Adam, I don’t think much would have changed but I don’t know I am afraid. I moved to London two years ago. People have commented with updates over the past few years which I have included on the map. If you do notice something has changed, just comment here and I can update it. If you find new parking spaces or if old parking spaces are no longer available, let me know. Thanks. Ross.

27. rhodri 20/07/2016 at 11:18

hallo ross – the free parking in the north-east corner of Bath is now residents’ pemits only! got hit with a hefty fine.

28. Ross Stone 20/07/2016 at 12:18

rhodri,
    Which marker was it so I can update the map. There are a few in the north east corner, so not sure which marker or road you are referring too.
    Ross

29. Shaz 18/08/2016 at 18:36

Hi I’m gutted. I got so excited when I came across this post while looking for free parking in Bath. I drove to Powlett Road this morning and found a space straight away. But of course when I returned to my car after work I had a parking fine. Only now when I’ve looked back on this post I’ve discovered it is out of date. My own stupid fault for not looking more carefully

30. Ross Stone 19/08/2016 at 09:41

Sorry to hear that. As the map is not up to date, I have removed it. Hopefully someone living in Bath will start a new parking map for people to use. I can provide the Google Map template if anyone wants to take ownership of it.